December is here and with it comes the cold weather. Time for warming stews and comfort food. However, tasty as they are, eating all the rich meaty stews take its effect on the waistline. So we made a healthier Vegetable Stew which is perfect for not only Dieter’s but also Vegetarians and even Vegan’s (just omit the Parmesan when serving).
1 tbsp Olive oil
1 Red onion diced
2 Carrots diced
2 Parsnips diced
100 grams Swede diced
500 grams Passata
1 tbsp Gia Garlic puree
1 tsp Gia Chilli puree
finely Fresh Thyme 3 sprigs
2 Bay Leaves
200 grams Quinoa
Pepper to taste
200 grams of Peas frozen or fresh
200 ml Vegetable Stock 3 cubes
Parmesan Cheese (grated to serve) Optional
Pressure Cooker method
1. With pressure cooker set to Fry/Sautee mode.
Add oil, onion, carrot, parsnip and swede and fry for 5 mins
2. Add the remaining ingredients stirring altogether, lock the lid in place, ensuring the valve is in the closed position.
3. Set the pressure cooker to stew/high setting for 4 mins, once complete, quick release the valve.
4. Serve with Parmesan & Crusty bread on the side.
1. Place the oil in a large pot over a medium heat, place in the onion, swede, carrots, parsnip and cook for 5mins until soft.
2. Add the remaining ingredients, bring to the boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 25 -30 mins. Regularly stirring to prevent sticking.
Enjoy with some crusty bread !!!
Calories: 267kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 182mg | Potassium: 971mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 4148IU | Vitamin C: 39mg | Calcium: 78mg | Iron: 4mg