Stracotto Italian Pot Roast
Melt in the mouth beef, cooked slowly with pancetta, carrots, onion, celery, Gia garlic puree and Gia sundried tomato puree on a low heat for hours in red wine and beef stock with thyme and bay leaves. We served our Stracotto Italian Pot Roast with Gemelli All’uovo pasta, however any pasta, polenta or mash potato works well.
3 tbsp Olive oil
1.24 kg Beef Joint Chunk, Brisket, Flank, Skirt, Topside, Silverside
100-gram Pancetta Diced
3 Carrots diced small cubes
1 Celery stick diced
1 Large Onion diced
1 tbsp Gia Garlic Puree
1 tbsp Gia Sundried Tomato Puree
400 ml Red wine
400 ml Beef Stock
2 Bay leaves
salt and pepper To season
500-gram Pasta We used Gemelli Alluovo
1 tbsp Cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp of water
1.Preheat oven to 150°C (fan)/ 300F
2. Add 3 tbsp of oil to a large cast-iron (hob to oven) pan on medium heat. Place beef joint in pan and sear meat on all sides, should take about 5 minutes. Transfer meat to a plate, leaving oil for the next step.
3. Add carrot, celery, onion and pancetta to the pan, fry on medium heat for 7 minutes
4. Stir in Gia Garlic Puree and Gia Sundried Tomato Puree.
5. Add red wine and beef stock bring to the boil, turn the heat off.
6. Return beef to pan, season with salt & plenty of pepper add thyme & bay leaves in the sauce.
7.Cover and transfer to the oven. Total cook time is 2 1/2 hours. However, I recommend basting with the sauce at each hour. So time for 1 hour, baste, 1 hour, baste, then final 30 minutes. Keep covered the whole time.
8.After 2 1/2 hours. Remove beef from the pan and place aside rest. Throw away the bay leaves and thyme.
9. Try to skim as much oil as possible from the top of the leftover sauce. Add Cornstarch and water mixture into the pan and bring to the boil, turn heat to a simmer and leave to thicken, Meanwhile, cook pasta to packet instructions.
10.Whilst the pasta cooks and sauce thickens, slice beef into thin slices.
11. Serve pasta into a bowl, place sliced beef in centre and top with the delicious sauce. Add a sprinkle of parmesan and fresh thyme leaves.
Calories: 1456kcal | Carbohydrates: 121g | Protein: 102g | Fat: 52g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 213mg | Sodium: 24456mg | Potassium: 2068mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 7643IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 131mg | Iron: 11mg