Salmon en Croute
There is something so satisfying about making Salmon En Croute. Looks very impressive when you have guests over for dinner., ‘En Croute’ in French translates to a food item being wrapped and baked in a pastry crust. Another name for this dish would be Salmon Wellington as we used puff pastry.
We used chanterelle mushrooms , but you can use any mushrooms you like for this recipe.
70 grams (1/3 cup) unsalted butter
2 Shallots chopped
100 grams (1 cup) mushrooms we used chanterelle
3 tsp Gia garlic puree
1 tsp black pepper
70 grams (3/4 cup) Breadcrumbs
200 grams (4oz) Creamcheese
10 grams fresh dill chopped
Salmon and Pastry
700 g (1 ½ lb) half salmon side skin removed
2 packs ready-rolled puff pastry
1 egg whisked
Cook the spinach filling first
1. In a pan melt the butter over medium heat. Add the Mushrooms, Shallots and garlic, fry until shallots are softened.
2. Add spinach, black pepper & salt, cook until spinach has wilted.
3. Add the cream cheese, breadcrumbs and chopped dill stir together, remove from the heat and place to one side.
Salmon en croute
1. Preheat the oven 180°c /360 F gas mark 4
2. Lay Parchment Paper on a baking tray. Place 1 pack of puff pastry onto parchment paper
3. Place the salmon side in the centre of the puff pastry sheet, spread the spinach filling on top of the salmon fillet.
4. Place the second sheet of puff pastry sheet on top of the salmon and spinach side, press the pastry down, you may have to tuck the corner away to make it look more like a parcel.
5. Cutaway any excess pastry, fold the edges of the first sheet of pastry up to meet the second.
6. Use a fork to seal the two sheets together all around the edges.
7. Optional, with the excess pastry, cut off you can make decorations for the parcel, we made little fish.
8. With a sharp knife score the top of the parcel criss-cross, cover all over, try not to cut into deep. Add your decorations coat all over the pastry with egg and bake in the oven for 30 mins.
Calories: 207kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 67mg | Sodium: 165mg | Potassium: 132mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 681IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 54mg | Iron: 1mg